Monday, March 28, 2011

L and the Hat


Full weekend to say the least. L is now signed up and ready to play Tball with the Miracle League. It will be awesome. I hope. We attended orientation on Saturday morning and L met his hat. Not his coach, I'm sure he/she was there somewhere, not his uniform shirt, they weren't ready yet, and not his teammates, they were engrossed in hat love too. L met his hat. The current LOVE of his life. I'm not sure if it's autism that makes his love for inanimate objects so all encompassing or if it's just his personality (it could be argued that the two are not exclusive, seeing as how autism affects his personality and his personality greatly affects the manifestation of autistic tendencies, but I digress...) L LOVES this hat. I mean adores it! He is for all intents and purposes a little guy of few words, but he said "hat" every 20 minutes on Saturday and again on Sunday. On the one hand I am FILLED with joy. My little guy has a friend! Something that he has a true connection with and is willing to share parts of himself with! On the other hand, it's a hat. Not a person, or even an animal. A hat.

It occurred to me this morning as I put his hat on his pillow for after school that it didn't matter so much. He loved his hat the way he loves cars and all things hot. He can say the word, which, hopefully will instill a sense of the power of words and be the catalyst for more attempts at speech. He is freaking ADORABLE in his hat and it makes him happy. There wasn't necessarily a downside here, except maybe the existence of autism as a whole, but there is ALWAYS an upside.

-LL
"profiter de la doublure d'argent"

1 comment: